Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Effect of High Stakes Tests on Students and Teachers: A first year teacher’s perspective

Standardized (high stakes) tests are assessments of students individual performance. The data collected from these tests are used to make decisions that have important consequences for students and teachers: high school graduation, promotion to the next grade, teacher effectiveness, and the approval of educational institutions. Standardized tests are a product of the No Child Left Behind Act which calls for standardized tests for math and reading in grades three to eight. State exams in math, reading, and science are also required for all public high school students. Each state must create its own curriculum and its own standardized tests. If a school's average test results do not improve each year, it is subjected to sanctions, and parents will be able to move their children to any school that has shown more improvement.
When I began the school year, my knowledge of standardized testing was very limited. I was very much aware of the fact that all students were mandated to take this test, but not familiar with the preparations involved. This year was a learning experience for me as I watched my students suffer through the process. As the New York State tests approached some of my students began to withdraw, others were very irate and created some difficulties for their peers and teachers. I observed the change in their attitudes and even reached out to some parents for help. I sat and spoke with “DS” who is an excellent student in all subject areas, to get an understanding of why they were so frustrated. With eyes held down to the floor she informed me that they were just worried about the upcoming tests. As a first year teacher what do you do? I tried to make their day seem as normal as I could, but they were tense, unreceptive, and some displayed the worst behavior I had ever seen.
Without a doubt our students were made into little robots. As I continued to teach the curriculum my sixth graders began to ask, when will I start practicing for the test? I explained that critical thinking and analyzing are skills that are required for them to take the test, but they were not buying it. I was very discouraged when I over heard one student comment that, there is no way they can pass the test with this teacher. The reality of it set in, my students were so used to rote memorization and drills of the test that they felt cheated. This attitude was seen from both my high achieving and low achieving students. It is absurd that after everything that we have done for the school year the only thing that seems to matter is the state tests. Many educators argue that important decisions that affect a student’s educational career should not rest on a single test but on the numerous data collected throughout the school year (Kellough & Kellough, 2007). Should a student who mastered the curriculum be labeled “promotion in doubt” because they failed the test?
On the day of the English Language Arts test I brought in breakfast for my students. They came in early and sat looking at the breakfast. I did not recognize these ghost-like figures who were suppose to be my kids. They could not eat; the complaints ranged from stomach aches, to headaches. As I looked at them I wondered what kind of system would do this to our kids? They were so nervous, I encouraged them, gave them a “you can do it” pat on the shoulder, but could this help to minimize the fear I saw on their faces? The nurse was very popular, tests days are her busiest days. It is difficult for an adult to see children having such a stressful and difficult time and not being able to help. At the end of the test the students finally ate their breakfast and shared their frustrations, anxieties, and hoped for the best.
When the results of the tests came I was devastated that DS did not receive a high score. DS was shocked and confused, to say the least. As she cried, I tried to console her, I could not help thinking of how damaging the test is to our kids. She performed extremely well throughout the school year and I have the data to prove it, but she must attend summer school. The result of one test is deciding her future; there is something wrong with this picture. Test anxiety is a major problem, not just for students but also for adults. I am not a great test-taker, I am always nervous during tests. I feel the some of the same symptoms as my students. Can I guarantee her that she will pass the test in summer school? No, I cannot, if she does not pass this test there is a possibility that she will have to repeat the grade. How useless! She has mastered the sixth grade curriculum and her “promotion is in doubt”.
This tremendous pressure is not only being placed on the students but also on the teachers. This pressure to judge student learning and teacher effectiveness based on the results of standardized tests can result in educators teaching to the test at the expense of other important aspects of the curriculum (Salend, 2008). Creativity, reasoning and analyzing skills are sacrificed when students are forced to memorize and regurgitate isolated facts and choose the correct answer. Teachers who have to "teach to the test" become automatons, spending larger portions of curriculum time giving tests and getting students ready for tests. In order to pass the state mandated tests, many schools are replacing art, music and physical education with test preparation classes. These tests are turning schools into corporations where the bottom line is how well students do on the tests. Instead of raising standards, I believe that these tests dull down the curriculum and the students minds.

References

Kellough, R. D. & Kellough, N. G. (2007). Secondary School Teaching: A guide to
methods and resources (3rd ed.). New Jersey: Pearson.

Salend, S.J. (2008). Creating inclusive classrooms: effective and reflective practices(6th ed.). New Jersey: Pearson.

No comments: